Monday, February 11, 2008

What About "Mama" or "Dada"?

Mitchell is quite the little communicator. He manages to convey very clearly what he needs or wants most of the time, and he uses very few or no words. In fact his most used words are "cracker," "cheese," and "please" (which he uses in conjunction with much pointing and gesturing when he really wants something). We think he has a word for Sheridan and one for his brothers collectively, but I've never heard him say any version of "Mom" or "Dad." I hadn't felt too sad about it until a couple of weeks ago when Marcus's friend Aaron came home from school to play. Marcus and Caleb ran around calling "Aaron, look at this. . . Aaron, come here." Within a very short time of Aaron's arrival, I heard Mitchell following being his brothers shouting "Aa-in, Aa-in." I did get a report from a babysitter we had last week that Mitchell was very sad after I left and sat at the door calling "Momma, mom!" Maybe someday I'll actually hear it.

No comments: