Monday, February 11, 2008

Science Fair

February 8, 2008 Both boys' classes required science projects this year. Marcus's class wasn't judged (they all just recieved participation ribbons), but Sheridans and all the older classes were. When we talked about what to do for their projects, Marcus was pretty adamant that he wanted to build a volcano and erupt it. We've made baking soda and vinegar volcanos for years, so to make it a little more academic, we learned about acids and bases (we tested several foods and other household items with litmus paper), and learned what about the baking soda and vinegar reaction causes it to foam up and erupt. We learned a lot, but when it came time for the kids to explain their projects while the other classes came in, Marcus was all about the eruption again (he had even built the toilet-paper "telescope" to help people focus on the action), and was thrilled he'd had enough ingredients to erupt it 5 times.

Sheridan's project was called "Electrolysis: The Effect of Voltage on Hydrogen Production." I want him to write about it, so at this point I will just say that Sheridan was told several weeks ago that only 5th graders and up could go on to the district science fair. He was so disappointed. His teacher said he "hung his head and cried silent tears." We got him past it, convinced him to simplify his project (he wanted to build a water fuel cell), and helped him get it done. When he got to school on Friday, his teacher informed him that they had decided to send his on to District anyway. I think the look on his face about says it all.

(As a post-script, I'm very happy that the science fair is over.)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Zina said...

I will have to show Dean that Sheridan did electrolysis (since that is one of Dean's hobbies.)

I just realized yesterday that Dean will be out of town the day of the regional science fair. It's in Pleasant Grove and Isaac has to set up between 3:30 and 5:00, LEAVE, then come back between 6:30 and *9 PM.* I get to be his chauffeur/chaperone as well as keep a one-year-old, three-year-old, and seven-year-old happy during that time. Yikes.

(Well, maybe he'll be able to get a ride with someone else for the set-up part, and maybe also a ride home so that I can just bring the little ones to the fair for part of the time.)

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Wait! I thought electrolysis was something to do with hair removal! :-) Maybe Sheridan can explain it to me when we are up there this summer!

Looks like both guys did a great job on their projects! Way to go!

Alden said...

I wonder if middle school will ever have a science fair. I know nothing about electrolysis, but the vinegar and baking soda was a good and easy idea! Oh and Hey! Check out my blog http://mme6alden.blogspot.com