May 2008 We finally got rid of the blue sectional couch that we got from Kendra in 1997 (and she got it from the Wards in Prescott some time before that). Shortly after we moved here, it was put in the basement and the kids played on it. We had no idea the dramatic and emotional effect our decision to get rid of the couch would have on the boys (I actually saw a journal entry of Sheridan's where he expressed his dismay that we would have made this decision "without even consulting me!!"). After several rounds of Sheridan coming to show me his very upset face, I told him to go put his emotional energy into something constructive--draw a picture, write a story, etc. This is what he came up with (spelling and punctuation intact).
Our Couch, A Memoir
Our couch, you could hide behind it,
and you could find me on it.
It's modular construction
was great for destruction,
and made for a long day.
When Christmas came
me and Dad would lay
on it waiting
for Santa to come,
and we disscused ways
to catch Santa on video
I'm sad that we gave it
away, but whoever recives it will
certainly make more use of it.
A couple of weeks later, we replaced our old padded bar stools, and Sheridan wrote this:
The Three Stools
Our three stools
would wobble to and fro
one was broken
they were filthy
but I didn't mind
Dad made pancakes
we would sit
gobbleing those
pancakes up.
Our new ones
are sleeker and
hard, but I'll get
used to them. We
still have one though
They were also great for tunes
on the floor.
Sheridan also drew pictures to go with each of these. I must admit that I really like the couch one. It was a test of my skills, though, to be able to read these (with graven-faced Sheridan standing next to me) without busting a gut.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment