Alternatives I'm Considering for the Next Pinewood Derby I'm In Charge Of:
1. If Den leaders are willing, build the cars completely at Den meetings and not allow the parents to touch them at all. (This, however, defeats one purpose of the derby which is to get the boys to work WITH their parents in building the car. It would prevent certain Dads from becoming TOO involved.)
2. Let the kids build them at home, but have a "BOYS ONLY" of at least "DADS NOT INVITED" derby.
3. (My favorite option right now) I got this idea from the SuperScoutGuy who came and set up the track and ran the race and gave me a computer print-out of the results (for the well-worth-it fee of $50). He once ran a derby that was composed of 4-5 different "events" set up around the room. Each boy was given a score card and allowed to go to whatever events they wanted. One was the derby track and they'd just race whoever happened to be around (they'd get points for how they finished to add to their card). The other events included "straight as an arrow" to see how straight the cars could drive, and "bullseye" where the boys would try and drive their cars to stop on a certain point. Again, points would be awarded for how well they did on each. I'm not sure what he did with the points in the end, but there was no overall race winner, and he said the boys had a great time. Liz added that it would be fun to also allow the boys to vote on some design awards as part of it.
Overall, the derby went well and the plaques were a really big hit, but I have yet to actually ENJOY one of these events.

2 comments:
We had a derby with those kinds of extra events (how straight it can go, etc.) but depending on the number of boys racing, it could be hard to fit in any extras other than the race. I guess it speaks well of my ward that I've thought our Pinewood Derbies were pretty enjoyable and low-key. Congratulations on surviving yours. :)
Congrats on pulling it off! I take it some of the dads were a little competitive. I think the boys' cars look great! I also like your plaques/stands. I think the multi-event derby sounds like a good idea and would take some of the intensity out of it all.
Post a Comment