Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Version of "Simple"?

For Marcus's treasure hunt, I came up with the idea to give him instructions and legos to build a block that would then tell him the hiding place of the next set of legos and instructions. When he had all four blocks built, he'd put them together to reveal the final hiding place (where his presents were hidden) written in studs on the top (yes, I know, but it really did seem simple at the time). We used a program you can downloard from Lego.com called Lego Digital Designer that lets you "build" a model on the computer. Then you can print out instructions, and even order your creation from Lego.

So, in reality, each block took way too many legos to build, the instructions ended up as mini-books, and I was short on time, so we only made three blocks. Even so, the treasure hunt took Marcus and his helpers quite a while to complete. I still think it's a cool idea, but it didn't come off quite as I had envisioned.

*Incidentally, the three Legos on top of the "TUB" block were not part of my original design, but one of the boys decided they should be there.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Zina said...

WOW! You win the cool idea award for at least this year, maybe a decade. That's amazing.

Mama's Boys said...

Zina,
You should give out awards more often (well, awards to me at least :-). I'm so flattered!