Monday, April 7, 2008

Marcus Turns 8!

March 15-16, 2008 By the time we were done celebrating, Marcus decided that having a birthday on a Sunday is pretty cool because his parties were spread over two days. On Saturday afternoon (top pic), Guy took Sheridan, Aaron Drennan, Marcus, Liam Vincent, Caleb and Drake (Aaron and Liam are school friends) to the IMAX movie Sea Monsters at Thanksgiving Point and the boys got to choose something small from the gift shop as well (Mitchell and I went to IKEA). Then on Sunday afternoon, family came over for dinner, treasure hunt and cake.

A word about the cake: It just goes to show my state of mind lately, but I made Marcus's chocolate cake from scratch and didn't realize, until it came out of the oven, that I had erroneously omitted the baking soda (or was it powder? I can't recall). Naturally, there wasn't enough time, or baking cocoa left to make another cake, so we called it "Brownie Cake" and pretended it was good anyway. Then there was the decorating. I've long wanted to do a lego cake because I thought they looked relatively simple. Most versions I've seen use cupcakes for the lego studs, but I found this idea http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=40759 and thought it looked much better, using marshmallows cut in half for the studs. One suggestion I read mentioned using toothpicks to hold the marshmallows while you frost them, then putting them on the cake. From my experience that really just doesn't work. At any rate, Marcus's birthday cake was not one of my favorites.

One thing that did work out well (If I do say so myself) was Marcus's birthday sign. If you look closely, you can see that I inserted pictures of Marcus's face into lego scenes I downloaded from the Lego website. I got a kick out of seeing Marcus's reaction as he recognized himself as a minifigure.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Zina said...

Wow, that poster's amazing. And I think the cake looks very cool, although it doesn't sound like it was fun to make.