Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Caleb's "Supai"

June 20-21, 2008 When Sheridan was 5, he and Guy went with Marenda and Sam to Havasupai in the Grand Canyon. The trip included a 10 mile hike in (I think it was 10, though it may have only been 8--I can't remember) and Guy and Sheridan trained for several months to be able to make the trek. At the time, Marcus kept asking when he could "have a Supai" himself. While that big an outing hasn't really been an option since 2003 when Sheridan went, we've kind of made a tradition of having the boys do some kind of hike with Dad before they start kindergarten. When Marcus was starting Kindergarten, we camped up near Squaw Peak and then Caleb and I droped Guy, Sheridan and Marcus at the top of Rock Canyon and they hiked down the canyon, and all the way to the house--about 5 miles. So, last month, Guy was lamenting the fact that he just hasn't had the time/opportunity to be with the younger boys like he was with Sheridan so he planned two short backpacking trips. First he took Marcus (and all the pictures from that trip are on Guy's phone and I haven't gotten them yet, so I'll have to include them later), and the next Friday he took Caleb. Both times they hiked in the Big Springs area up the South Fork of Provo Canyon. The hikes didn't really compare in length the the original Havasupai adventure but the boys (young and old) had a great time.Some of the highlights from Caleb's trip included playing games in the tent before bed, befriending many a caterpillar (in the 3rd picture he's trying to holding some so they'd be seen), and checking out the beaver dam.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: