Guy and Mitchell arrived home from the hospital around 6:30 this evening. The "official" opinion from neurology (which is still just a best-guess since there is no clear evidence in this case) is that M had a complex febrile seizure. Basic febrile seizures usually only last a couple of minutes and present when there is a fever. The lack of fever and the length of the seizure make M's "complex." The Neuro Dr. said that seizures are most common between 6 mos and 6 years and that M has a 50/50 chance of having another one before he's six. We're hoping for the better of those 50's naturally, but we were sent home with an emergency nasal medication for him should he seize again. Now I just have to figure out how to have it with us at all times just in case. I will be doing a follow-up with M's regular pediatrician in the next 3 days or so, and we have an MRI up at Primary Children's scheduled for the 19th of March.
Back to the homecoming: M had fallen asleep on the long drive home so was not overly-friendly or excited when he saw his brothers (who had a hard time keeping their hands off him). Almost first thing, he directed me to the fridge and his yogurt. He actually had some difficulty feeding himself--getting his spoon, or even his hand, to his mouth like he wanted--and he got quite frustrated while still managing to eat a bit. He ate some more later and seemed to do a little better. After a while he played with some toys on the carpet, and finally got the idea to get up and run around. I insisted he hold one of my hands since he's just not as steady as he was, but he seemed really excited to be able to go places. Overall, he was a bit Jekyll/Hyde tonight going from complaining and needing consoling to giving me hugs, wanting to play etc.
He started getting very tired and went to bed without any complaint just a short while ago. I've dug out the baby monitor and I'm debating sleeping on the floor of his room or with the monitor taped to my ear. It is going to take a while for me to get comfortable with him walking/running on his own, or for me to let him out of my sight without worrying.
That being said, we are still really happy to have our boy(s) home.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad you're all home, and so glad you'll be getting meals. (I SO wish I could be of any help, but I'm just too much in the trenches right now myself, so I'm really glad there are others more capable than I am.) I wondered about febrile seizures, but that *is* weird if he didn't have a fever at the time.
I'm sure it'll be a while before you feel fully relaxed again (in fact I think I know just about exactly how you feel.) Take it one day at a time! I'm sending you wishes for a houseful of meek, quiet, helpful boys tomorrow.
So glad you are home! Just wanted you to know our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Post a Comment