Saturday, March 8, 2008

Getting Back to Normal (and Isn't "Normal" Wonderful?)

When Mitchell came home from the hospital I watched him very closely for any lingering issues. I mentioned before that on Tuesday night he had a difficult time with his fine motor skills, as well as with walking. I also noticed that his left eyelid was droopy. By Wednesday evening, though, Mitchell looked and acted really like his normal little self, which is wonderful and incredible to me. I spent that day pretty much carrying him around or following wherever he went since I was unsure of his balance and coordination. He would take my hand and start running and laughing. He walked down the stairs holding my hand, and when we got to the bottom he clapped his hands and then held his arms straight up like he does when we say "Hooray!" We did lots of cheering like that on Wednesday, since Mitchell seemed really pleased with every little thing he did. He also seemed to have a certain urgency in playing with his toys--he wanted to try out every one of them, as well as all of his brothers' toys. By the end of the day, I could tell by the amount of stuff pulled out of cupboards that Mitchell was back. It was a happy mess for me.

Mitchell slept really horribly on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I tried to help out on Wednesday night, but by Thurs. night I was feeling so ill myself, that Guy bore the brunt of it all. Yesterday, I took Mitchell to see his Pediatrician, and everything checked out fine again. The rest of the day Mitchell was really quite lethargic and just wanted to be held and sleep. Today, Mitchell still has a runny nose, but seems to be doing a lot better. Now, if the rest of us can just get well. . . I think Sheridan and Caleb are about done being sick (I HOPE!), but I'm still feeling pretty crummy, especially at night and in the morning. The main thing is that Guy can't get sick, or our world will come crashing down around us :-). Or we'll just have to call in re enforcements again (ie. Mom and Dad).

1 comment:

Zina said...

I'm sure it's been augmented by my own feelings of fragility lately, but every single one of your recent posts has made me cry. I'm so relieved that this time they were happy tears.