Quinn brought a tent to pitch and sleep in to fulfill one of his Cub Scout Arrow of Light requirements, and Sheridan was more than happy to assist. With their new-found independence, they made big plans to stay up all night making owl mating calls to try and lure one to the tent. They were both up very early, and very eager to build the fire. Though their first attempt wasn't successful, it was a riot seeing these "grown-up" boys wanting to assume more responsibility.
I was sorely disappointed in my camera, which has been going through our rechargable batteries in a matter of hours lately. These were the best pictures I got, and all the others were blurry. (I'm serious about finding a new digital camera with much higher MP, maybe a Zeiss lense, and video recording capablilities. Any suggestions?) Renae ended up taking over 80 pictures with her camera and promised to send them to me.
On Saturday we dropped the tent trailers and headed further up the canyon to a fairly remote little trail called Wadsworth Creek. We had a dubious start--too many flies, too much sun, not enough shade, but we ended up finding a lovely spot where the kids could climb rocks, play on the bridge over the creek, and where we saw some horseback riders. (Mitchell's motivation for hiking back down the trail was to get to horses again. Those short legs manage to move pretty quickly when they want to. We did find the horses again at the trailhead, and the owners were nice enough to let Mitchell pet one--and he suddenly got very shy about horses.)
Best quote of the trip:
Driving home after the hike:
Caleb: What kind of fruit do cars like best?
Me: I don't know, what?
Caleb: Road apples! I made that up myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment