Friday, April 6, 2007

Caleb and the Monster

(This picture is from our trip to the Children's Museum.) Very early one morning (somewhere around 3 am), I was sitting in bed feeding Mitchell. Through a half-awake haze I saw Caleb with his special blanket dash past my bedroom door. Once I was done with the baby I decided I'd better go investigate. I found Caleb's door shut, and inside his room, he was wide awake, lying in bed with the blankets pulled up to his chin. He whispered at me, "Is it gone?" "Is what gone?" "The monster that was downstairs." I hastily reassured him there were no monsters, and that he was fine to go to sleep, gave him a kiss and left the room. I decided, since I was up, that I should go check on the big boys, and was somewhat upset to find their bedroom door closed and locked. I unlocked it and found them both very much asleep. In the morning, I scolded them for having locked their door, but Sheridan and Marcus both insisted they hadn't done it. Caleb then announced he'd locked their door. So, I asked Caleb some more questions, and here's what I pieced together. Caleb said he heard something bump downstairs that he decided must be a monster so he grabbed blankety and ran into his brothers' room "because I wanted to be with my brothers, but they wouldn't wake up." So then he locked and closed their door "so the monster couldn't get them," and ran to his own room. He tried to lock his door, but it has a different kind of lock that he doesn't know how to work. We thought it was awfully brave and sweet of him to try and protect his brothers. I told him that if he were ever afraid of something again, he could come in our room and ask his dad to go and check for monsters. Guy replied, 'Yeah. I do it all the time for your mom."
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

What a great story! (and a cute picture to go with!)